Impatient and Grateful

A friend of mine wrote on her blog about how she missed being able to text back and forth with two of her formerly pregnant friends, who had graduated to "all blissed out and sleep-deprived with their new babies and I'm still (thankfully) pregnant." Only I'm lacking that whole thankfulness thing at this point because 38 weeks pregnant is plennnty of time for me and I've been ready for our little one to come since about six months in. At which point I had already stocked up on food staples, toiletries staples, and baby clothing/washing/tending staples. As well as having read a ridiculous amount of articles in Dutch and English on healthy pregnancy, natural birthing, and newborn care. Which left way too much time over for me to wait for the baby to actually show up, which makes it hard to be thankful about him taking his time.

I am thankful for lots of things, though. Such as popsicles (I'm averaging 1-2 a day) in our warm summer apartment. A generally working internet connection which lets me stay in touch with friends and my on-the-road family. Huge blessing - an expatriate moms group in my city that gets together for tea and makes me feel like it's ok to not know how the Dutch vaccination system works. A wonderful family-in-law for hanging out with, including a sister-in-law to take pregnancy photos with!


And, yes, I'm aware of the fact that my stomach (on the right) doesn't look that big. The side view is less adorable but more eloquent on that count. 


Being pregnant has had its special moments - baby kicks, smiles from strangers, extra hugs from family. I'm just ready to actually hold my baby and be 'all blissed out and sleep-deprived' myself, instead of just sleep-deprived, bored, and impatient as I look at the crib that's waiting for a little wonder to arrive....

Comments

  1. "Be patient. Don't worry. Don't be in such a hurry…" ;) I love you, little duck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Garden

Monthly Themes Printables - Science, Composers, Artists

A Delicious Dutch Book List